Nielsen has released its report on The Mobile Consumer and the insights that matter most to automotive marketers are as follows:
- 94% of Americans have a mobile device
- 53% of Americans own a smart phone
- 86% of smart phone users send text messages
- 75% of smart phone users access and send email
- 63% of smart phone users engage in social media networking
- 82% of smart phone users search the Internet
- 72% of smart phone users watch video; 31% of those watch at least once a day and 42% watch several times a week
A glimpse into mobile behavior patterns has been provided by comScore’s Mobile Future in Focus Report 2013, which shows how consumers engage different devices during the day:
The successful delivery of automotive marketing content to mobile devices – smart phones and tablets – is directly impacted by the optimization of your website, landing pages and e-newsletters for mobile. It is no longer a question of if you should do it, it’s now just a question of when.
comScore says that with smart phone penetration now past 50%, the market has now entered the “late majority” stage of the technology adoption bell curve:
This means that the media consumption habits of consumers is now substantially different than it was just a year ago, and that new media strategies are required to capture this audience that now numbers more than 80 million American consumers.